[vox-tech] collaborative data storage (of excel files)

Gandalf Parker gandalf at any1can.net
Tue Jan 15 15:41:10 PST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Jimbo wrote:

> "The next step up, sorta, might be to set up a web server with a very
> simple CGI for appending records to the CSV and committing, accessed
> via a web form. From there you could proceed to using an low-admin
> database if you wanted."

Im glad I read thru the answers because that was the direction I was
heading also.

Apparently its a huge database (unless you are doing extensive math things
then it should be a database instead of a spreadsheet). But the
individuals are not working with the entire database?

I would grab a LAMP book. There is even a dummies version which is usually
great for getting a feel for something and deciding if you want to read
further. L.A.M.P.  Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP (or Perl).

Or you might even want to NOT go with direct updates. Use an old standard
form CGI to retrieve data if necessary, take the changes, then process it
by script. The script can update the database thru MySQL, AND also save
off the original input with info on time, date, terminal, etc for tracking
and verification purposes. If the updating of the database is done by cron
working whats in a queue directory then it would simplify avoiding file
access collisions.

Gandalf  Parker