[vox-tech] collaborative data storage (of excel files)

Harold Lee harold at hotelling.net
Tue Jan 15 12:39:37 PST 2008

Now that I want to find it ... d'oh

There were three interesting things I've run across lately. The first
was a study that estimated the cost of bugs in Excel spreadsheets to
the U.S. economy. The other two were a history of PowerStep for the
NextStep machine, and a different product based on PowerStep that
targets the financial market, runs on Windows and costs about $1,000/
person. Both products' marketing argue that they cut down on bugs by
having separate formulas that use column names in the code.

I'll keep looking, let me know if you find anything good. I feel this
is one of many ways that programmers earn their keep - and as a
programmer, I'm glad to see some studies quantizing the cost of
spreadsheet bugs :-)

Here are some other related items I found while looking for the older
articles:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/06/19/excel_snafu_costs_firm_24m/

Here's a pay article advising against using standalone spreadsheet
documents:
http://www.cfoproject.com/documents.asp?d_ID=2842