[vox-tech] GUI won't come up

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Feb 20 16:25:52 PST 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 04:15:10PM -0800, Tim Coddington wrote:
> Was at the Jan IF and had Ubuntu 7,1 installed.  Since then, I haven't
> been able to get the gui (GNU) to come up.  Seems to boot fine, otherwise.
> We had some trouble getting it to come up at the IF, but then it seemed to
> work fine until I got it home.  I don't even know how to attack a problem
> like this.

Log into your system and look for the GUI (X Window aka X11)'s log file
to see what, if any, errors and/or warnings it displays.

$ less /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Look esp. for lines starting with "(EE)".  Share them with us here. :)

Good luck!

PS - Next Installfest is sched'd for Sunday, March 2nd.
  RSVP at: http://www.lugod.org/if/  Email: if at lugod.org if you need to

PPS - If this is super urgent, and you can't figure it out via email,
  you can try asking LUGOD's "LERT" team for help.
  See: http://www.lugod.org/projects/lert/  Email: lert at lugod.org

bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/