[vox-tech] video for Apple ipod touch

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Dec 30 06:40:35 PST 2008

Hai Yi wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> It looks like that ipod touch only support mp4 videos format (maybe
> others too, but I don't know). I managed to use ffmpeg to convert the
> .avi files to .mp4 files, but it seems I couldn't get the parameters
> right, some produced weird voice, some have no voice at all, and the
> width-height ratio is not nature. Does anyone out there know how to
> get them right?
>
> Appreciated any help! :-)
>
> Hai

I use these parameters to do it:

[darose at darsys9 ~]$ cat bin/avi2ipod.sh
#!/bin/bash
#
# courtesy of https://help.ubuntu.com/community/iPodVideoEncoding
# except changed to use vcodec libxvid instead of mpeg4
ffmpeg -i "$1" -f mp4 -vcodec libxvid -maxrate 1000k -b 700k -qmin 3
-qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -g 300 -acodec libfaac -ab 192k -s 320x240 -aspect
4:3 "$2"

e.g.:

avi2ipod.sh SomeMovie.avi SomeMovie.mp4

HTH,