[vox-tech] Strange web form submissions; regexp to filter?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Dec 18 12:44:15 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 01:30:24AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> If you get tired of cleaning up after it, require that posters correctly
> answer a simple question of your devising, e.g., "What's Jimmy Carter's
> first name?", and then discard any submissions that don't include a
> correct answer.

I get a lot of people (I'm guessing many are non native English speakers)
who don't really even understand what the form is asking.
(e.g., when I said: "Where did you learn about Tux Paint? (e.g., a magazine)",
I got a LOT of responses that said, literally, "e.g., a magazine".
Ok, let's use the word "example:" instead.  Where in the world are you?
I got a lot of people who, again, copied the example.  So now I use
a complete nonsense example ("Tuxville, Antarctica"), so that I can at least
tell which ones are legit answers, and which ones are confused users.)

Any kind of 'answer a question', 'type the scrambled text' or
'click the kitten' will just confuse people even more. :)