[vox-tech] Strange web form submissions; regexp to filter?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 18 01:42:07 PST 2008

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net):

> It looks like my Tux Paint survey's backend script is only sending me
> fields I know about, and that make sense for that form.  So I'm not even
> seeing the junk that the spammers' bots think is being posted on some
> online forum.  It just vanishes, and I'm left with the nonsense.
> (Verus the "<a href="...">online dating!</a>", or whatever.)

Aha!

I've just come across, on an online discussion of this sort of spam,
what sounds like a truly brilliant idea for authors of Web forms:

   The best solution we found to spam contacts is to have an invisible
   field called 'email'. If it's filled, then it's spam, and ignored. We
   haven't received a single spam contact on any of our sites since
   implementing this.