[vox-tech] GRUB Puzzle

Ted Deppner ted at psyber.com
Tue Dec 9 20:47:42 PST 2008

It should be sufficient to copy not the files, but the stanza from the
kubuntu system to the debian one... the main thing I would guess that was
missed is that the K system is on a different root, ie it's stanzas should
have hd2,1 or whatever.  Of course debian's default behavior is one root for
all, so you may need to tweek debian to leave other stanzas alone... but I'm
not certain if you'll face that issue.

Copying the files themselves from K to deb is rather ugly and needless ties
the two systems together.  First time you delete an older kernel and forget
to copy the new, you'll be thrust even deeper into GRUB arcanity.  This is a
recoverable situation, but may be mysterious the first time.