[vox-tech] GRUB Puzzle

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Tue Dec 9 09:29:44 PST 2008

I have two Linux versions on this computer; Debian testing and Kubuntu.
Debian is my main system.  Kubuntu is a backup system.

Debian's GRUB controls the boot process.

Like any other Debian based system, Kubuntu updates the kernel.  I now have
these kernels in Kubuntu:  2.6.22-14-generic, 2.6.24-19-generic, and
2.6.24-22-generic.  Debian's GRUB boots the 2.6.22-14 kernel.  I would like
it to boot 2.6.24-22.

Debian's menu.lst has the following entry pertaining to Kubuntu:

title           Kubuntu (on /dev/hdb3)
root            (hd1,2)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/hdb3
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
savedefault
boot

If I use vi to change 2.6.22-14 to either one of the two newer Kubuntu
kernels, it doesn't work.  What happens is that the boot process starts, but
hangs.  It hangs before it gets to the message about initiating scripts.

If I go back and use vi to change Debian's menu.lst back to the 2.6.22-14
kernel, then Kubuntu can then once again boot.  (In other words I haven't
totally mangled things with vi.)

I checked Kubuntu's /boot/grub and all of the kernels have the same
permissions.  I just can't get Debian's GRUB to boot the newer Kubuntu
kernels.

Can anyone solve this puzzle?

Thank you.

Bob