[vox-tech] Linux file/module security proposal.

jim jim at well.com
Thu Aug 21 07:53:58 PDT 2008

   i'm considering rebuilding my machines on a
regular basis. in the case of a vital service,
it seems a clustered set of servers would permit
taking one out and rebuilding it then putting it
back in and taking out another, rebuilding, and
so on.
   rebuilding would be a matter of copying over
all executables, probably using the  dd  command.
   it would be important to partition the hard
drive and load only the kernel, libraries,
executables, and config files that were necessary
to support the service.
   i'd consider removing or renaming or
recompiling essential utilities such as ls and
grep and ps and vi and so on.

   tho'ts?