[vox-tech] Ubuntu Security Software

Scott Miller scottlinux at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 17:38:57 PDT 2008

>From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>

>OTOH, I love Linux malware.  Fascinating stuff.  The ELF-infector class
are pretty pitiful, but tend to be implemented as payloads on other
attacks, e.g., as a backup means of keeping a UDP-based backdoor open
after the bad guy has entered through other means entirely.  Most of the
slightly, briefly successful malware were "worms" that essentially were
canned attacks against obsolete versions of buggy network daemons.  My
rundown:

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus#virus5

---

Hey Rick, that is very cool stuff. I'm reading through all of those
links on that page right now...

I do have to ask/mention, is there even Linux anti-virus software to
detect the vulnerabilities on that page, for example? (Not looking for
a literal answer- just making a point here.) Running clamav or
something meant for detecting windows viruses is not going to protect
you against Linux vulnerabilities.

I think that is where a lot of the 'anti-virus for Linux' confusion is...

Scott