[vox-tech] Verify Ubuntu files

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Aug 11 17:59:00 PDT 2008

Quoting Brian Lavender (brian at brie.com):

> Is there a way to verify the integrity of binary files in an Ubuntu
> system?

Boot a live CD, validate your IDS database from its cryptographic
signature, and check your system against the IDS records.  (This of
course presupposes that you installed and configured a good IDS,
well in advance.)

> I just back from Defcon and I was wondering if I can inventory
> installed packages to make sure they are still the same.

Consider:  1.  If you had such a tool installed _on_ a suspect system,
you would not be able to trust it -- because of it being on a suspect
system.  2.  If that tool kept its datafiles on the suspect system, you
wouldn't be able to trust them, either.  (Same reason.)

Of possible related interest:  http://linuxgazette.net/issue98/moen.html

(Excerpt:
   That sort of false reassurance is the same one often encountered
   among users of RPM-based systems reassured by the results of running
   "rpm -Va" to "verify" the md5sum signatures of installed files:  The
   values are "verified" against a simple Berkeley DB record in
   /var/lib/rpm -- which of course a competent intruder will update to
   match his changes.
)Z