[vox-tech] No node for CDROM

Richard Harke rharke at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 30 20:01:10 PDT 2007

I installed debian etch a couple of months ago and had no occasion
to use the CDROM drive until recently. I was trying to play a CD and
kept getting an error.  I found there is no node in /dev for it. I did find
a node in /dev/.static/dev but of course no app will look there. This seems to
be related to udev some how. I found a lof file in /var/log/installer
called hardware-summary. according to that there was a CD drive recognized
and the driver modules installed. Now the driver modules are not
installed. (I had to re-boot because of a power outage)
As I understand it, udevd is supposed to get an event from the kernel
and craeate the node dynamically but how can it get an event when there
are no drivers? Is there some program to run to get this to work?

Richard Harke