[vox-tech] Preserving carriage returns in OpenOffice.ort Calc cells when referring to them

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Sep 30 02:15:20 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 01:45:20PM -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> Encode the string (e.g. "first\nsecond",
<snip>

Fortunately, our build system supports translating \n sequences within the
strings in the CSV file into carriage returns in the J2ME app, so all I have
to do is convince the non-techie editor/designer/producer-type people to
include "\n" at the beginning of each new line, when they want it.

(Note: Not the end, since that could introduce a space -- the one that
the spreadsheets were converting carriage returns to -- at the beginning of
paragraphs of text, which would look funky.)

Our strings files (for help text, etc.) has gotten a bit crazy recently,
as we try to shove a rather large game into a rather small (128KB JAR)
package.  On _some_ builds, we ship with a lot less art.  On others, we
actually have to disable features (which lead to the need for alternative
text; either removal of whole chunks of dialog and help text, or different
versions that don't mention them -- e.g., one help screen includes
"Press * to toggle sound on and off."  On builds with no sound at _all_,
this line has to go.  Ugh.)

bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/