[vox-tech] home network - how to make a UNIX known to the other PC (Windows)

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Sep 27 09:09:48 PDT 2007

Hai Yi wrote:
> This might be a very simple question, so forgive me if it is.
>
> I have two PCs at home. One is Ubuntu the other is Windows XP.
>
> Ubuntu machine has a name "zodiac", how can it makes it known to the
> Window XP machine? I want to install a tightvnc server on Ubuntu and a
> client on Windows so it can visit the Ubuntu.
>
> I  guess I need to modify the hosts and network files on Win XP to
> include the IP and name of the Ubuntu machine?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Hai

Basically the problem is that you have no DNS server on your local
network, so the boxes don't know each others names.

So you can choose either a) the hard-coded solution (i.e., modify the
hosts files) or b) the dynamic solution (i.e., run a dns server on your
network).

I do the latter.  But FYI - there's no need to run a full-fledged (and
complex) BIND server.  There's a small DNS server that's perfect for
small home LAN's, called dnsmasq.  It's a combination DNS and DHCP
server.  So I've configured the linux server on my LAN to run dnsmasq
(and thus serve as the DHCP server dishing out IP addresses) and to tell
each box to use dnsmasq as its DNS server.  And voila - all the boxes
can now access each other by name.

So if you feel like working a bit more for the "right" solution, try
giving dnsmasq a shot.

DR