[vox-tech] Keyboard switching with xkb

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 12:46:18 PDT 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:20:28 -0700
Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 01:32:33PM -0500, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > Having found my keyboard misbehaving over the past few days, I
> > started looking again at my xkb settings. I had been using a custom
> > layout living in my home directory to define a phonetic hebrew
> > keyboard map, but the old version of the file was dependent on
> > certain aspects of keyboard layouts that would periodically change
> > underneath me.
>
> After all this nifty digging, you wouldn't happen to want to look into
> making sure users can type Hebrew into Tux Paint for me, would you? :)
> (It may Just Work(tm), but I know nothing about Hebrew input methods.)
>
> LUGOD's own Mark K. Kim did the major work of adding some IM stuff to
> Tux Paint in the last version (0.9.17 from July).

Well, Hebrew doesn't use an input method, since it has a small 22
letter alphabet. My understanding is that input methods are used for
languages with thousands of characters. So all you need to do is switch
to the right keyboard layout using setxkbmap.

I did notice that TuxPaint (1:0.9.17-1) doesn't have bidirectional text
support, so entering Hebrew will be in the wrong direction. After that,
you'll want to find out about how vowels are placed properly, but last
I checked, the only people who have managed to do that properly were
the writers of dvips.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/