[vox-tech] Copying data from Windows share to Linux server *with* original date stamps and permissions

Richard Burkhart richard at khanfusion.net
Fri Oct 19 12:04:08 PDT 2007

Wes Hardaker wrote:
> RB> - Batch transfer multiple files & directories from a windows (server
> RB> 2000) machine onto a Linux machine
>
> Are you doing this whole thing for backup purposes or synchronizing?
>
> If backups, consider looking at "bacula" to do backups which allows a
> linux box to backup a windows box.  I'm using that to back up a local
> windows machine here to a linux filesystem.  But it's not what you want
> if you want a synchronized set as what you get in the backup volumes
> are file volumes (multiple remote files in a big backup-file).

I'm synchronizing.  The linux machine will eventually take over as
server for the transferred data, but I need to confirm that everything
is transferred *properly* (permissions, file modification dates, etc.
all untouched) before I dump the data on the windows side.

I will be contemplating backups -- of both the windows and linux
machines -- at a later date.  (The backup method I inherited was kind of
put together with bubblegum and bailing wire.)  Thanks for the lead on
bacula.  Exploring that now.