[vox-tech] server setup

Cylar Z cylarz at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 23:26:20 PDT 2007

Hey guys,

Linux novice here. Running FC 7 from Redhat. I’ve
been all over Google on this and haven’t found much
of use since most of the matches on the subject seem
to pertain to Windows servers. The router mfg’s
website also has been useless.

Here’s the rundown. I’ve got a DSL connection with
a static IP package. My ISP has provided me with my
external IP address, S/N mask, gateway, and DNS
addresses to use.

If I put all that information into my router, and
connect my Windows box via DHCP to the router,
everything works great.

If I bypass the router and connect my modem directly
to the server, and put the static IP information into
its network settings, everything works great there,
too.

The problem is when I try to combine the two. The
server and the Windows client need to be able to share
the DSL connection. Question is, how?

Do I connect both the client and the server to the
router, then set the server up in a DMZ/port
forwarding scheme? Tried this and it didn’t seem to
work – the server could ping the Windows client but
not the Internet.

Or do I use 2 Ethernet cards in the server, secure it
via a software firewall, and then put the router
behind it (with the client attached to the router)?
I’m not crazy about the second way since it means
routing 100% of my Internet traffic in both directions
through the server.

I’ve got a domain name I’m going to associate with
this thing, but that comes later. Eventually I’m
going to set this up to handle incoming HTTP requests,
and I also want to run a mail server.

Right now though, I just want my connection sharing to
work. This has got to be a very common problem for new
amateur server admins. I’m sure some of you are
doing this at home and that the setup is relatively
simple – can anyone give me a few pointers? How did
you do it when you set your server up?

Thanks, Matt