[vox-tech] Strange DNS lookup failures (Ubuntu Fiesty)

Gandalf Parker gandalf at community.net
Mon Oct 1 09:15:48 PDT 2007

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, Rick Moen wrote:

> Now, I'm not sure _why_ that's happening at NS2.SONIC.NET, and I'm sure
> it's nothing nefarious, but I know for certain that nothing like that
> happens at my own nameservers.

Totally agree on do-it-yourself advantages. Obviously I do that also. In
fact, I cant think of any ISP services that I dont do myself at least
partially (most are 100%)

And I have no idea what is going on at Sonic. BUT just to argue the other
side, some ISPs have problems with people who misunderstand the pros and
cons for zone settings. New admins dont like the two-day wait on changes
so they set the time to live to be 1 minute. :)

Some ISPs use a bulk default setting on such things. If I remember
correctly, that isnt specifically against the protocols? I suppose it
would be better to run it thru a "IF the number is nuts THEN use default"
but many have taken the easier course of using one setting for all. You
would need to check other domains against that server and maybe see.

Gandalf  Parker