[vox-tech] Strange DNS lookup failures (Ubuntu Fiesty)

Gandalf Parker gandalf at community.net
Mon Oct 1 07:19:44 PDT 2007

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> I ran a 'ping sonic.net' (Sonic is our DSL provider), and noticed this:

Usually I lurk but ISPs.. finally something in my area.

You might pay Sonic, and they are great for service and being a
go-between, but technically SBC is your DNS. The SBC dns servers might be
closer to being "on a direct path" to you than running off the path to get
to Sonics.

Not to say that Sonics arent great. I pestered Dane for years and finally
he setup two completely different DNS servers for primary and secondary.
That is quite proper by Internet rules (and quite rare nowadays). So altho
I usually recommend taking one of "theirs" and one of someone elses for
DNS, using both of Sonics isnt bad. And anytime Ive checked them they have
been low-load (so far)

Do traceroutes to both of Sonics servers. And do traceroutes to SBC's dns
servers. Other than short traceroute and fast responses, the only reason
to use Sonics is if you do quite abit that is ON their DNS server. Using
VPN or having a domain on them which shows up in all of your traffic. Such
as I have my home desktop named parkers.oddthotz.com so directly using the
dns server which has the oddthotz.com info is a slight boost)

You might find that both of Sonics DNS servers are your best bet. You
might find that mixing one of each, Sonic and SBC is best plus you avoid
the "all eggs in one basket" thing.

Gandalf  Parker
--
I used them, they used me