[vox-tech] Printer installation

Steve Weiss stevew at bbenginc.com
Thu Nov 15 12:29:58 PST 2007

I have a Brother MFC-8860DN printer/fax/scanner network printer
connected to my 100-TX ethernet network. Right now everything is setup
for DHCP, hosted by a Netgear FR114P router with firewall and works fine
w/PCs running Windows XP.

I've been using Ubuntu 7.10 since the last installfest, but I still need
to get this printer working with it. I tried setting up the printer with
the driver that Ubuntu automatically recommended, but it doesn't work.
(More details available, but hopefully not needed if the stuff below
works out.)

Brother recently began supporting Linux at
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html
and came out with drivers including several for my printer. Great! But
now my Linux novice's ignorance is a problem and the choices begin:

*    Which package should I try first, the one for Debian (.deb) or for
Red Hat / Mandriva (Mandrake) / SuSE (.rpm)?

*    Brother's CUPS installation instructions at
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_wrapper_install5.html
don't use ubuntu's package manager. How do I install this through the
Synaptic Package Manager? I looked at adding a repository, but I have no
idea what apt line to enter. And should I point it to the files I
downloaded or to the URL where I got them? And how would this correlate
to the installation instructions from Brother, which don't seem to go
through any such package manager.

*    Brother has both CUPS and LPR drivers. It seems like CUPS does more
and I should try to install it, but their instructions seem to first
require LPR driver installation anyway. Plus, having a network printer
requires LPR as well. Am I understanding this correctly?

*   LPR driver configuration instructions are at
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/printsetlpr.html.
Note that my printer is included in the list inside the note box near
the top on using the file name "brprintconflsr2".

This looks more complicated than it probably is. Does anyone have any
good advice for me? Or should I just bring all this stuff to the next
installfest?

Thanks,
Steve