[vox-tech] Gimp and batch processing tga to whathaveyou

Troy Arnold troy-vox at zenux.net
Sat Nov 3 14:05:41 PDT 2007

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 09:54:19AM -0700, Jimbo wrote:
> I used gimp to open tga files.  Using the gui interface I find the files
> then using cntl+a I selected all files then hit open which it did.  Is
> there a way to convert these tga in basically the same way?  I don't want
> to use any scripting if I can avoid it.  I can convert one at a time but it
> is a real pain when I have over 50 files.

I know you said you wanted to avoid scripting but depending upon what
you're trying to do, it can be super simple:

  for f in *tga; do convert $f $(basename $f '.tga').jpg; done

'convert' is from the imagemagick suite.  As I'm sure you've picked up from
reading this list, these tools are powerful and fairly easy to use.  You can crop
rotate, resize, all with a simple command line.

AFAIK, there's no way to automate Gimp without delving into Gimp's
batch image scripting stuff.

-t