[vox-tech] Re: [vox-tech fix] compiling cvs nv

hajhouse hajhouse at houseag.com
Sun May 20 10:35:50 PDT 2007

P=E5 2007-05-19, skrev Alex Mandel:
> Jimbo wrote:
> >Welp I have compiled my first doo dad.  Although rocky and not exactly =

> >what I had in mind I did it, even if it was wrong.  I had to use a =

> >command ./autogen.sh
> >
> >What I don't understand is since this was kinda an upgrade to an =

> >existing program then why didn't it do just that?  The old program is =

> >still there in its same place.
> =

> I wasn't an upgrade in the way you think of a patch. You actually =

> generated a new version of the program(whole thing) from source and =

> installed it over the old one.(most likely)
> =

> In order to do a patch, it's actually as I understand it different, =

> where they make a special file that has some way of inserting itself =

> into the existing version to fix a specific known problem.

A patch is just a set of instructions to make the changes that turn an
old version into a new version. This applies to compiled programs or
source code, so there are two possibilities of applying the patch
technique:

- distribute a patch to update an old version of the compiles program
  to a new version (binary patch); no compilation is required
- distribute a patch to the source code; re-compiling and reinstalling
  the program is required.

I hope that helps to make things clearer.

-- =

Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13