[vox-tech] remaster live cd from install

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed May 9 23:03:03 PDT 2007

Jimbo wrote:
> I have just made a live cd from my linux install on my hard drive.  Holy
> s..t it was soo easy!
>
> I rooted shell and typed remasterme and just like magic...I had an iso
> of my linux os with ALL MY SETTINGS!
>
> It appears that it has the basic boot files and the like but my
> background pictures, settings, even the files in the garbage are all
> there!  It even has all the programs that were synaptically installed on
> my system! It is a 3.5G dvd but I will slim this way down next time and
> tweak on this oh so very hard.
>
> I don't have 3d acceleration and the graphics are set too big but given
> what I have now I am almost in tears of the simplicity of it!
>
> I am right now using my live cd to email this!
>
> You know...it would be very easy to make a lugod live cd this way with
> backgrounds, bookmarks, and even things loaded to start upon booting
> into desktop.  This is way too cool and uber easy to pass up.
>
> Has anybody else played with making a live cd?  Can I get some imput?
> Is there a doctor in the house cuz IM ABOUT TO PASS OUT FROM ALL THIS
> EXCITEMENT!
>
> Jimbo

Grats, it sounds pretty cool. I've never done it just read about it.
I'm in the planning stages of making myself a custom bootable USB drive
including some new fancy trick that lets you boot in Qemu on a live
windows system.

If you want to make a custom one for lugod, go for it. Maybe we'll do a
survey this month and see what software people think we should include,
pull it all with synaptic and then remaster. I didn't realize it was so
simple.

> P.s.:  Alex, do you remember what partitions are blank on my hard
> drive?  Since we formatted all of them I don't know which ones I can use
> to make another install.

I'm think we did
part 1 PCLinuxOS
part 2 -
part 3 -
part 4 /home
part 5 /swap

To check, do a
df -h
If it's 0% used then use it,
you could also mount the partition and see if there are files in it,
that would be a sure way to know.
Hmm, I'm not quite sure how to reuse your existing /home better ask
around a bit 1st.

-Alex