[vox-tech] Getting Ubuntu Linux to dual boot with Vista on a Sony Vaio VGN-N270E laptop

Issac Trotts issac.trotts at gmail.com
Tue May 1 23:54:34 PDT 2007

In case anyone else runs into the same thing, here's what happened.  The
Ubuntu installer shrunk the Windows partition and set up /boot/grub/menu.lst
to dual boot, which is all good except that it made a mistake and put

title           Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader)
root           (hd0,0)

where it should have put (hd0,1).  The installer assumes that the first
partition on the drive has Windows, but on this system the first partition
has stuff to reinstall or repair Vista.  This makes it look like Ubuntu
hosed the Vista installation, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case.  I'm not
entirely sure because in my confusion I ended up reinstalling Vista.
Anyway, next time I do this I'll try editing /boot/grub/menu.lst first.