[vox-tech] bootloader

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue May 1 13:29:11 PDT 2007

FYI - one other thing to be aware of in this type of dual boot setup:

Windows needs to be on the first sector of the first hard drive (i.e.,
hd0,0), else it gets very grumpy.  So be aware that you must make the
Windows disk hd0, and not hd1.

I realize that that probably pokes a bit of a hole in your
configuration, as it sounds like you want to use grub to control the
boot selection.  But given this setup, IIRC I think you'll have to let
the MS boot loader do it instead.  (If you, say, had Windows and Linux
installed in different partitions on the same drive, then I think you
wouldn't have to.  But since you've got one disk all Windows (and which
I'm assuming you *don't* want grub installed on, since you might want to
later use this drive in a different, windows-only box) and one disk all
Linux, I think it'd need to be done this way.)

The way you do that is you put a Linux boot record file on the c: drive
and then add Linux into the MS boot loader menu.  This will cause the MS
boot loader to let you choose between Windows and Linux.  When you
choose Linux, it will then transfer control over to grub.

My laptop is set up this way.

Google around on "windows linux dual boot" or some such, and you can
find all the details.

HTH.  Feel free to email back if you get stuck.

DR