[vox-tech] starting xwindows

Richard Harke rharke at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 27 00:21:53 PDT 2007

I am one of those who do not like to have xwindow start on boot up. What I
usually do is make sure the default run level is 2 and then make sure
xwindow is not started at run level 2 At one time, it was normal to have
xwindow start at run level 3 and changing the default run level was enough
but more recently it seems that all the run levels above 1 default
to starting X. In /etc are a series of directories named rc0.d to rc6.d
These contain links to start-up and shut down scripts. The scripts themselves
typically live in /etc/init.d For example, if there is a link in rc2.d named
S99xdm -> ../init.d/xdm, the script xdm will be called with the command to
start -- because of the S as the first letter of the name. the 99 means
this script will be among the last to be called for the run level. If the
name of the link is changed to K01xdm -> ../init.d/xdm, the the script
is called with stop as the command. So I change the name of the link in
/etc/rc2.d and change the default run level to 2 I can then login as myself
and do startx or login as root and do init 3 which forces a change to run
level 3 which will bring up X in the same manner as if booting into it.
Be sure to check for scripts not only for xdm but also for kdm and gdm

Richard harke