[vox-tech] starting xwindows

Gandalf Parker gandalf at any1can.net
Mon Mar 26 22:06:52 PDT 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:

> In my experience the neatest way to stop a Debian machine from starting
> X on boot is to remove the package of the display manager. Otherwise,

I didnt want to remove it since I needed to have some of the graphic
libraries loaded for some text-mode things I do.

> you could do "update-rc.d -f xdm remove" or whatever your display
> manager is. That is what would happen if you remove the package, except
> it is still there and you could still do "/etc/init.d/xdm start" if you
> felt like it.

OK I tried that:
  /etc/init.d/xdm start

Not starting X display manager (xdm); it is not the default display
manager

> When you do startx or log in through the display manager, it should try
> to start your window manager, and (I think, correct me if I am wrong) if
> you don't have one it gives you a fixed size xterm, which you can really
> do a decent amount with.

I did manage to get that on one of the things I tried. But running the
command I wanted within that window just seemed to give me the text mode
results instead of the gui version.

  I seem to remember having problems a few times
> getting icewm to start when I start X and I think adding it to .xinitrc
> was one way to get it to work. The correct debian might have something
> to do with /etc/alternatives.

Im giving up for tonite. Maybe in the morning I will google a few of these
things and get some more items to try.

> You could also try purging everything X
> related then reinstalling xbase-clients which will depend on all the
> rest and you might get twm or something too.

Its not that important. I dont want to mess with the whole system just to
try out this one thing. If I cant find the starter on the system as it is
then I will just toss the project.

Gandalf  Parker