[vox-tech] NAT in vmware broken

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Mar 22 18:08:53 PDT 2007

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Fired up vmware for the first time in a while, and noticed that NAT-based
> networking does not work anymore. I have a nearly identical machine nearby
> where this is not the case. Both are running Debian/unstable- however the
> working machine is using a k7-based kernel.
>
> I noticed that when I run ifconfig -a there is no listing for the vmnet8
> device, which is normally used for NAT in vmware.
>
> Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
>
> I have tried updating vmware to the latest version, and re-compiled the kernel
> modules... still no luck.
>
> cheers,

What are the odds I was monkeying about the same stuff today.
So what's your host system, what's your client system?
I'm assuming you ran ifconfig on the host?
I noticed when running the client that there's an option I hadn't seen
before that gives you in depth control over your VMware network configs.
That seemed to solve a lot of problems for me today.

Unfortunately I'm not at work and the client isn't playing nice with my
home system, so I can't tell you which menu it is (I think it's on the
host menu)

Now that was on windows and I'm not sure if the linux client is
different but give it a shot.

Alex