Fwd: Re: [vox-tech] How to tell if a pdf is text or image?

Richard Mancusi vrman49 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 14:55:24 PDT 2007

> I did give that shot, but it only gives me info about the pdf as an image. It can't tell anything about the fonts embedded in the file.
>
> Alex

If text is your big concern, use Adobe Reader 7 - for Linux, of course.
You have 2 interesting things that may help.

1. Open your document in Adobe Reader and select File/Document Properties.
    There are 4 tabs - one of which is Fonts.  I just tried it on my Treo 680
    user's guide and the font list is there.

2. Right click in the text of your document and select:
    "Allow Hand Tool to Select Text"
    When placed correctly, the hand changes into a standard cursor "bar".
    Select the text normally by highlight and paste into OpenOffice Write.
    Now you have eliminated much of your OCR requirements.  Obviously
    there will still be formating to do - but no typing.

-rich