[vox-tech] vim annoyance in new Ubuntu Edgy installation

Mark K. Kim lugod3MAPS at cbreak.org
Wed Mar 21 20:35:49 PDT 2007

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 10:24:43AM -0700, hajhouse wrote:

> - folds are on with pieces of most kinds of files (conffiles, mail)
>   being hidden by default. I need to manually set foldmethod=marker or
>   foldlevel=10 to unhide everything. Adding either of those commands to
>   my vimrc had no apparent effect.

I think you can override it with this line in vimrc:

   autocmd FileType * set foldmethod=marker

> - syntax highlighting fails silently

That could be a number of reasons - syntax support wasn't compiled in,
vim can't find the syntax files because they weren't installed, terminal
type isn't one that supports color, the specified terminal's termcap
doesn't exist or doesn't specify color settings, ...

> - weird abbreviation expansions occur when I typ certain texts

Can't help you there.  Sorry.  Examples of an expansion would be helpful
- it could be some foreign language expansion.  That could be due to the
input method settings on the terminal or on vim (vim does have the
korean input method built-in if you compile with it turned on - w00t!)

What's your :set and :ver outputs?  They should give hints of the last
two issues.

-Mark