[vox-tech] Internet Connectivity Weirdness

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Mar 12 02:01:59 PDT 2007

Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> On Sunday 11 March 2007 09:39:29 pm Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>
>>Richard S. Crawford wrote:
>>
>>>Over the past few days, I've been unable to reach my work website,
>>>http://www.extensiondlc.net, from home.  I can reach just about every
>>>other website in the world just fine; it's just that one (and its various
>>>subdomains) that are causing the problems.  Furthermore, I can reach the
>>>host, http://whsecure.net, just fine, but no subdomains.  This problem is
>>>only happening at home.
>>>
>>>When I try traceroute from any of the computers on my network, I get
>>>this:
>>>
>>>richard at seamus:~
>>>$ traceroute extensiondlc.net
>>>traceroute to extensiondlc.net (66.232.56.196), 30 hops max, 40 byte
>>>packets 1 * * *
>>> 2 * * *
>>> 3 * * *
>>> 4 * * *
>>>30 * * *
>>>
>>>I get the same output no matter which site I try to traceroute to.
>>>
>>>In my experience, if I get timeouts at every instance in a traceroute, it
>>>means my connection is down; yet, as I mentioned, I can get to just about
>>>everywhere on the web except for that one domain just fine.
>>>
>>>I have already contacted my DSL provider, who insisted (naturally) that
>>>nothing was wrong, and that they could not escalate my call.
>>>
>>>Can anyone offer some insight?\
>>
>>What is the output of
>>
>>   netstat -nr
>>
>>and
>>
>>   ip link
>>
>>from your home machines? Also, what is doing the routing for your
>>home network? One of your linux boxes, or a commercial router?
>

> richard at seamus:~
> $ netstat -nr
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
> 192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
> 0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0
>
> richard at seamus:~
> $ ip link
> 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,10000> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue
>     link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
> 2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,10000> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
>     link/ether 00:30:bd:b3:f9:2f brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> 3: sit0: <NOARP> mtu 1480 qdisc noop
>     link/sit 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0
>

> I've got a Linksys router doing my routing for me.  :)

The fact that the traceroute fails at the Linksys is wierd.
If it failed outside your network, I could see the problem being
an ISP router issue... but you can't even get a response from
your own router.

I was hoping an explanation might be found in a dead route to a vpn,
but your response above indicates no dead routes on your computer.

It is generally best to troubleshoot connectivity problems with
IP numbers first... then when all that works, use DNS names to
check out your DNS resolution.  Does traceroute work for other
public IP addresses?

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing