[vox-tech] How to get started with Linux

Gandalf Parker gandalf at any1can.net
Sun Mar 11 07:37:10 PDT 2007

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:32:30PM -0800, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
>> It's a disc image. You need an .iso file burner. Nick mentioned some
>> programs, I want to add http://www.deepburner.com/ as another
>> possibility. (I've been using the free version. It's a nice little
>> lightweight utility.)
>
> So let me get this straight... one downloads a ".iso" file on Windows,
> and by default it DOESN'T know that the appropriate thing to do with this
> is to burn it as a disc image onto a CD?  Sheesh! :^)

It doesnt know what to do with every file. It has no disc burner software
included, so it has no response for .iso unless you install burner
software.

> (who downloaded a random .deb file the other day, and just right-clicked
> it in KDE and selected "install" ;^) )

In windows that would be a .cab file. It does know what to do with that.
Hmmm does Linux default setup know what to do with an iso?

Gandalf  Parker
--
It used to be that politics, religion, and sex were not subject for a
polite social gathering. Now that sex is ok I guess its avoid politics,