[vox-tech] microphone (solved-summary)

Jimbo evesautomotive at charter.net
Wed Jun 20 22:37:46 PDT 2007

Jimbo wrote:
> Greetings:
> Went to frys and bought a microphone however it doesn't work on a pc.
> A pc mic works just fine.  I guess that it wasn't designed to work on
> a pc (it is a shure 8900 brand mic).
>
> I see why it doesn't...the regular pc mic has 2 separators in the jack
> and the pro mic has just one and it is spaced differently( but the
> same size jack).
>
> Can I somehow get an adapter from radio shack for example?  Don't
> really know if I can get around the 2 jack separator not knowing how
> mics are imputted.  I haven't went yet to see if this is an option; I
> have to go to a party tonite.
>
> Hate to return this nice mic.  Anybody had the same experience?
>
> One last quick thing:
> I bought a new sound card for my pc thinking that the rca jack
> receivers on the back of it would go directly to my stereo however I
> have read that these jacks are for s/pdif in and out.  Hard time
> understanding what this is for when googled.
> Jimbo

Well heck...it isn't as easy as plugging a mic into a sound card even if
it nice looking.

According to what I have found online I have a low impedance mic in
which I would have to have a mic preamp to 'push' the output.  Too
expensive for what I need.

The mics  jack has only 1 separator in which it is mono.  I was wrong
into thinking that it is the jack configuration causing no sound.

Thank you Mark Kim for the reply.  Your reply make me google til my
noodle hurt.

I will go to frys tomorrow and exchange this for something that works.

Jimbo