[vox-tech] Spanish accents

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Jun 10 16:59:47 PDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 12:15:51PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know how to produce Spanish accents in Vim and FireFox?

If you're using a full-fledged desktop environment like KDE or Gnome,
it should be trivial to set up your system to allow alternate keyboard
layouts.

Or I guess for any environment, you can look into the more generic xkb.

In KDE, for example, I have a little "us"-on-American-flag icon in
my systray.  If I click it, it switches a "en"-on-Spanish-flag icon,
and I can compose Spanish characters using my old 1986 clackity IBM AT
keyboard.  (Yes, AT.  I have a PS2-to-AT adapter. :^) )

Then I can type, for example, [;] and [:] to get 'ñ' and 'Ñ'.

Not that I do that very often, but it was handy for testing localization
issues in Tux Paint. :^)

bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/