[vox-tech] NVIDIA drivers

Wes Hardaker wjhns156 at hardakers.net
Mon Jun 4 21:06:09 PDT 2007

HH> Thanks all for your comments on the usability of the proprietary
HH> drivers. However, that's not really what I was asking. I know that the
HH> proprietary drivers work (at least with current kernels); I am
HH> specifically interested in alternatives that I may be forced to used in
HH> the unfortunate event that NVidia stops supporting the CPU/kernel/OS
HH> combination I want to use before I retire the computer.

Sorry...  I should have added "I'm writing all this because I don't
think you have much of a choice".

The open source drivers are still pitiful with 3d support from what
I've seen and heard (and will likely remain so since the hardware
specs aren't released).  So the only reasonable solution is to either
cave and use the non-free ones or have a really fast CPU.

I had a machine with a 2Gz P4 CPU and a 3d card.  bzflag, one of the
few games I play occasionally, and google earth were "usable" but not
"nice".  More ram probably would have helped "some".  Switching to the
proprietary drivers made everything work very quickly with a near-0
load.  Was I happy that I had to go that route?  Nope.  Was I happy I
*did* go that route?  yep.  Did I have a choice?  not really....
Maybe use the proprietary ones until the OSS ones catch up or fall
back to the OSS ones when you actually loose the support you're
worried about?  Either way, the card will still work.