[vox-tech] NVIDIA drivers

Troy Arnold troy-vox at zenux.net
Mon Jun 4 14:34:57 PDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 12:42:27PM -0700, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> On Monday 04 June 2007 12:31, Henry House wrote:
> >
> > Thanks all for your comments on the usability of the proprietary
> > drivers. However, that's not really what I was asking. I know that the
> > proprietary drivers work (at least with current kernels); I am
> > specifically interested in alternatives that I may be forced to used in
> > the unfortunate event that NVidia stops supporting the CPU/kernel/OS
> > combination I want to use before I retire the computer.
>
> ah, there is the 'nv' driver which works ok...

Henry was asking about alternative drivers with 3d acceleration.  The nv
drivers do not have any 3d accel. capabilities.  I don't know of any open
driver that has much beyond the simplest functionality. I haven't tried
nouveau.

Speaking to Henry's question about software (at least openGL) acceleration
-- it's workable on a fast CPU.  I actually played the quake 4 demo
accidently in software emulation mode and it was almost playable on a
single core ~2.6ghz Athlon64.  Google Earth (which would probably be a closer
approxmiation to your intended use) actually works pretty well in software.

-t