[vox-tech] NVIDIA drivers

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Mon Jun 4 12:31:46 PDT 2007

> h> I've avoided NVIDIA's video cards like the plague for the last few
> h> years, because I really dislike the idea of being tied to a proprietary
> h> driver.
>
> Well, I've been down this road many times in the past.  I've had both
> nvidia and ati cards at various times...  At least nvidia *offers* a
> driver!
>
> In the end, when I've tried the OSS vs proprietary drivers the
> proprietary ones are *always* better when it comes to 3D
> acceleration.  I've used both, but it's always something like Google
> Earth that makes me go switch to NVidia's.
>
> For Fedora, both the atrms and the livna repositories distributes the
> pre-compiled drivers so a yum update should grab them.  (Yes, I
> realize I'm speaking to a largely Debian crowd).
>
> The biggest problem with the commercial drivers is that at some point
> their installation system drops support for older cards and you have
> to make sure you start grabbing the backwards-compatibility snapshot
> instead (again, the rpm repositories above distributes compat versions
> too).

Thanks all for your comments on the usability of the proprietary
drivers. However, that's not really what I was asking. I know that the
proprietary drivers work (at least with current kernels); I am
specifically interested in alternatives that I may be forced to used in
the unfortunate event that NVidia stops supporting the CPU/kernel/OS
combination I want to use before I retire the computer.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13