[vox-tech] Multiple displays and graphics cards

John Wojnaroski castle at mminternet.com
Fri Jan 26 22:31:38 PST 2007

Hi,

Thanks  Kim and Ted for the tips on setting multiple displays on a
remote server.

FYI, the application is for a flight simulator ( see my 747 project page
on the FlightGear website -- www.flightgear.org )

It's still not quite as bullet proof as I would like but at least one
can start an run the sim from an instructor's console via the LAN. My
early architecture had four machines on the LAN, each with a single AGP
card.  A bit of a hack in that I had to set the BIOS to make the PCI
card as primary.  The captain's MCDU keypad needs to be the default
keyboard and it uses a PCI slot so the mouse focus needs to initialize
to that screen as there are no mice or keyboards in the sim to change
focus. Probably a way to do that over the LAN, but for now this will do.

The P4 machine now has three graphics cards, a dual headed AGP Nvidia
for the captain's displays, a dual headed PCI for the copilot's displays
and right side MCDU, and a dual headed PCI to drive the other two
MCDUs.  All the hardware is connected via an interrupt based driver on
the parallel port and four additional USB ports. And that includes all
the flight controls, auto-throttles, brakes, tiller, and myriad of
switches.  In short, I've been able to cram the entire cockpit into a
single machine.  Also running with RTAI and Xenomai for a real-time
version of Linux.

With FlightGear moving up to OSG, I'll also be able to create multiple
views from a single machine for a  wrap-around display.

I pity the fools banging their heads and emptying their wallets for all
that Microsoft jazz, not to mention the pain and angony of trying to
maintain a herd of machines.

Again, thanks for the tips
JW