[vox-tech] Multiple displays and graphics cards

John Wojnaroski castle at mminternet.com
Wed Jan 24 21:02:35 PST 2007

Mark K. Kim wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 07:56:50AM -0800, John Wojnaroski wrote:
>

>>Mark K. Kim wrote:

>[snip]
>

>>>	export DISPLAY=<ip>:0.0   # 0.0 is first screen
>>>	xclock &
>>>	export DISPLAY=<ip>:0.1   # 0.1 is second screen
>>>	xclock &
>>>
>>>	export DISPLAY=<ip>:0.0   # 0.0 is first screen
>>>	xclock &
>>>	export DISPLAY=<ip>:1.0   # 1.0 is second screen
>>>	xclock &
>>>
>>>	xclock -geometry +0+0 &   # +0+0 is top-left of screen
>>>	xclock -geometry -0+0 &   # -0+0 is top-right of screen
>>>

>[snip]
>

>>I played with the export option a bit late last night as you noted above
>>but nothing worked. OTH I was pretty tired.. I'll give it another go today.
>>
>>Do you have to do anything with the xhost list; something like "xhost
>>+127.0.0.1" or "xhost "ip of remote machine"?
>>

>I didn't see that you were using ssh.  That adds some interesting touch
>to the problem.
>
>Try it on your local system first.  That way you can just try:
>
>  export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
>  export DISPLAY=localhost:0.1
>  export DISPLAY=localhost:1.1
>  xclock -geometry +0+0
>  xclock -geometry -0+0
>
>to figure out which option you should use to place the window on the
>screen you desire.  After that we'll figure out how to make it work over
>the remote connection.

Okay, I kind of have it working....

Logging into the remote server and after starting X, I do the following:

castle at turret:~$ startx &

and that brings up X on the AGP and PCI cards and respective monitors. Next

castle at turret:~$ export DISPLAY=:0.1
castle at turret:~$ xclock &

and that starts a clock an sends it to one of the PCI cards ( the BIOS
is set for the agp slot as primary) , then

castle at turret:~$ export DISPLAY=:0.0
castle at turret:~$ xclock &

sends that clock to the other AGP card/screen.

Ideally I would like to be able to open two or three xterms on the
remote and start an application in each directed to the appropriate
remote monitor

When I try that from a "fresh" xterm (i.e; one that has not started the
X session) I get the following:

castle at turret:~$ export DISPLAY=:0.1
castle at turret:~$ xclock &
[1] 1580
castle at turret:~$ Xlib: connection to ":0.1" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Error: Can't open display: :0.1

At this point, I've exhausted my knowledge and understanding of setting
up X. I can get by with the first option but would prefer seperate
screens/xterms back on the client for controlling each app on the
server. Just have to get a little smarter on how all this fits together
and how to set things up. Any ideas??

Regards
John W.