[vox-tech] [OT] MS Windows nice

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 18:11:47 PST 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 13:03, Harold Lee wrote:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > 1. Is there a cron for Windows?  I would like to run something
> > like:
> >
> >       cd /path/to/application
> >       ant create.reference.data
> >
> >    before coming into work.
>
> Look up the command "at". I think if you run "at help" on the command
> line, it'll help you out.
>
> > 2. Is there a nice for Windows?
> >
> >       I don't think the ref data is built any faster when it has
> > full control of my system.  I really would like to read digg.com
> > while the data is being built.  Is there a way to nice a process in
> > Windows?
>
> MS discourages people from playing around with process priorities
> because, in my experience, it is easy for processes to get CPU
> starved or to hog the CPU - not a lot of subtlety in the scheduler, I
> think. Better to just run it when you're not around.
>
> My guess is that you're killing the disk, writing tons of data as
> fast as you can pull it over a gigabit ethernet - if that's the case,
> and you need to be able to use the computer meanwhile, you could
> always add a sleep() call (or Java equivalent) to wait a little while
> after each write to disk. Also look at how much data you're gathering
> before each write - maybe it'll help Windows if you build a larger
> buffer of binary data and do fewer, larger writes... just a thought.

Also, schedulers don't really deal with scheduling how much disk
throughput different programs get. If your web browser's suffering from
too much disk accesses, you may need to look at how RAM on your system
is being used, because what's probably happening is that the browser is
swapping. You can fix this either by modifying the downloader to be
less RAM intensive, or getting more RAM.

If your bottleneck is the ethernet itself, then look at traffic shaping.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/