[vox-tech] [OT] MS Windows nice

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jan 22 08:53:35 PST 2007

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> I'm developing a Java application that needs a ton of economic data from an
> Oracle db.  The query takes a long time to do, so instead of getting the
> data from Oracle, the app uses a binary file of "reference data".
>
> The ref data is created once every morning.  Takes betweeen 2 and 15 min to
> create.  Basically, all the economic data is downloaded and pumped into a
> binary file.  This file is used by the app, rather than direct querying.
>
> During the ref file creation, my computer pretty much locks up.  I can't do
> much of anything.  Windows has a hard time being a multi-tasking OS.
>
> So, two questions:
>
> 1. Is there a cron for Windows?  I would like to run something like:
>
>       cd /path/to/application
>       ant create.reference.data
>
>    before coming into work.
You can run an exe or batch file using the Task Scheduler.
I'm assuming we're talking windowsXP, win2000 had some quirks about what
it would or wouldn't do.
Start -> Program Files ->Accessories ->System Tools(I think this is were
it is)

> 2. Is there a nice for Windows?
>
>       I don't think the ref data is built any faster when it has full
>       control of my system.  I really would like to read digg.com while
>       the data is being built.  Is there a way to nice a process in Windows?

I've heard there's a way to set the process priority, but that was in
the msdn somewhere and I think you'd have to write a program to do that.

Alex