[vox-tech] Apple & Linux

Dave Margolis dave at silogram.net
Sat Jan 20 22:02:58 PST 2007

On 1/20/07, Jeffrey J. Nonken <jjn.lugod at nonken.net> wrote:
> Wow, hmm. I've not been keeping up with the list... two days after you
> posted this, my wife gave me a refurbed MacBook for my birthday.
> Mine's the white 2 ghz Intel Core Duo.
>
> I've been running Windows XP under Parallels. Some twitchiness and
> occasional problems, and while I'm running it the rest of OS X seems
> rather slow, but overall it's worked out. I've needed to use a laptop
> at work running Windows the last few days, so I have the best of both
> worlds.

Max out the RAM - makes all the difference in the world.  With 2GB,
you'll have plenty of memory for the OS, a few apps, and one or more
virtual machines.  Parallels claims of "near native" speed become
amazingly true when you have enough RAM.  I usually have an XP and
Kubuntu VM running at the same time so I can do cross-platform browser
testing I need to on the same box.

Good times.