[vox-tech] blown power supply = fried MB and HDs

Gabriel G. Rosa grosa at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 16 21:51:15 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 08:24:13PM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> Anyway, I am wondering if there is still any hope in recovering the data
> on the hard drive.  From what I can tell, the drive is not even spinning
> up.  The bios tries to detect it, but it times out.  My guess is that
> the drive platters are OK, but the circuitry to run the drive is damaged
>  in some way.  Perhaps just the power circuit is bad.  Is there
> anything I can try?  I know I could send the drive out to a recovery
> service to the tune of several hundred dollars, but my data isn't worth
> that much; just sentimental stuff and a huge inconvenience

Hi Jonathan,

Some time ago, I had a machine that ran for about 2 years non-stop on an
8+ year old hard drive. After powering the machine down for upgrades, the
hard drive wouldn't spin back up. The motor was foobar and couldn't start
the disk up cold (although it had no issues keeping the already-spinning
drive going).

I managed to get it to spin back up again by giving it a quick rotational
jolt while turning on the power. Frantic data copying soon followed.

-Gabe