[vox-tech] Ubuntu sound card issues on KDS laptop

Harold Lee harold at hotelling.net
Tue Jan 16 12:11:07 PST 2007

Eric Engelhard wrote:
> One of my neighbors purchased a used KDS Valiant 671XH laptop for his
> daughter. The machine was running Windows XP, but was crippled with viruses
> and malware. I turned six people on to Ubuntu Linux in the last year and have
> had no issues on three laptops and three workstations. Unfortunately, this
> install (Ubuntu 6.06) had trouble with the sound card. Even worse, the
> original OS was so crippled that I did not even bother to check out the
> hardware specifications (I know, I know...). Bitten by overconfidence.
>
> I tried looking on linux-on-laptops.com and tux-mobil.org, but there are no
> references to this model. I also tried kdscomputers.com, but it appears that
> they have gone out of business. The ALSA site also has no specific references
> to this model.
>
> Is anyone familiar with this model or have sufficient ALSA/sound card
> experience to offer a suggestion?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Eric Engelhard

Knowing the sound card model is more interesting than the laptop model,
try "lspci -v" and look for sound card info. e.g.

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0537
        I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
        I/O ports at 18c0 [size=64]
        Memory at c0000c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
        Memory at c0000800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

Then you can go Googling for Linux support for that chipset.