[vox-tech] Mail re-routing

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jan 12 11:14:51 PST 2007

Ken Bloom wrote:
> On Friday 12 January 2007 12:59, Alex Mandel wrote:
>> Ok, I've been missing out from the lists for a couple of weeks do to
>> my own causing of course.
>>
>> I changed some settings on my domain registrar and things got a
>> little funny so I'm looking for a better solution this time.
>> Basically I switched my URL redirect to a cname record (Chris's
>> proper suggestion), which worked as intended for my website URL
>> remaining correct. However my registration also includes email
>> accounts that they handle for me and these apparently have been
>> bouncing off a blank wall the last couple of weeks since all traffic
>> to my domain was being moved to the alias. How can I redirect the
>> email stuff back towards the right server from my webserver. Do I
>> need to open port 25 on my system, this might be a problem since the
>> server is on a dynamic IP behind At&t/SBC. What program can handle
>> the redirect?
>>
>> I temporarily reverted back to my old way of doing things so I'll
>> actually get responses to this now.
>
> Did you update the MX record for your domain?
>
> --Ken

If I use A Name then I can also edit the MX or in this case leave it
where it is. The problem is that I used CName since I have to reroute
through a free dynamic DNS tracker. In the CName settings I only get one
line to put in the alias I want to use which in this case is the free
no-ip domain that tracks my ip address.

Registrar -> No-ip -> Real Server

Alex