[vox-tech] new gaming computer

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 09:43:30 PST 2007

for some hints on maintaining a working nvidia binary driver (kernel and
X.org) I have put some of my notes here:

http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/299

of particular interest is the source article here:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Eandrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html

Note that this is for a debian system, might work on debian-derivatives... ?

Cheers,

Dylan

On Sunday 07 January 2007 16:31, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 03:01:31PM -0800, Jimbo wrote:
> > Maybe I can bring it to the next installfest IF they have some sort of
> > wifi internet.  W/o internet I won't be able to research or d/l what is
> > needed for the genius that will be helping me get 3d working.
>
> FWIW, _I_ figured out Nvidia drivers on Kubuntu, and have accel'd 3D
> working for my purposes (lately, Xgl, Compiz and Beryl GUI eye candy...
> previously, just to get things like Stellarium and Google Earth working...
> I'm not a hardcore gamer, and, while I have Windows on a drive in that box,
> I no longer touch it since work issued me a laptop).
>
> So, it shouldn't be _too_ hard.
>
> > I would really like to get pclinux working because I am very familiar
> > with it.  On my last pc I was able to get 3d working and was even able to
> > watch, edit and even save/burn dvd's, be it copywrited or not.  Plus it
> > has bittorent, synaptic w/ fresh cutting edge supositories, frostwire and
> > other things all rolled up into one.  It was soo user friendly.
>
> I'm not familiar with PCLinuxOS, having only ever used RedHat, Debian
> and Kubuntu... nor will I be attending an Installfest any time soon.
> But, I say: RSPV for the next one.  I think they're trying to work out
> when it will be, probably later this month:
>
>   http://www.lugod.org/if/
>
> For discussion, see:
>
>   http://lists.lugod.org/pipermail/vox-if/2007-January/thread.html
>
> to participate, go sign up at: