[vox-tech] RAID drive-How I did it

Wade Pinkston blata at bugs.osu.edu
Fri Jan 5 20:28:09 PST 2007

I finally figured it out after many attempts to clone my old 100g drive
to a new 300g drive.  Heres the story.

First the players.
RAID:
3ware 8006 2 port Hardware raid controller.
BP-sata3141 B HotSwap backplain (hot swap raid cage).

Drives:
1 100g seagate sata drive (old) 4 partition
1 114g Maxtor sata drive (old) 4 partition
2 320g Maxtor sata drive (new)

Array:
RAID 1 Mirror

The first thing I tried doing seamed the easiest and most likely not to
work.

I used the 3dm web interface to degrade the original array.  This
resulted in two Identical boot able drives.  I then swapped in the new
300g drive and rebuilt the array.  this worked but I once again had 2
100g drive.  The 300g had 200g of wasted space.  I figured ok I'll just
use parted to expand the partition.  This was no good.  Parted and fdisk
both saw the 300g drive as only 100g.  Hmmm, back to the beginning.

Then I came across Gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/).  A live CD
that clones, move, and resizes partition.  Sounded great.  So I used
gparted to copy my old drive to the new drive, and resize the partition.
 This worked just fine but now the new cloned drive wont boot.  All I
got was GRUB _ .  I figured I would just reinstall grub and off I go.

I booted into rescue mode and tried to chroot the new drive.  of course
this didn't work it kept giving me errors.  Because of that grub-install
- -recheck /dev/sda wont work nor would the grub interface
(http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-tutorials-howtos-reference-material/9398-solving-boot-problems-grub-2nd-edition.html)
is an excellent grub how to btw.

This sent me back on the hunt.  Next I come across G4U
(http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/#disks).  With this tool I did a local disk
clone from old to new.  Following this I was able to boot the new 300g
drive.  This time, however, the drive was 100g of data and 200g of
unallocated disk space.

Back to gparted.  I was now able to resize the partition on the drive.
I then rebooted and in the 3ware bios rebuilt the array and viola.  I
now have an exact copy of my old drive but with a lot more room.

Wade Pinkston wrote:
> Santa was good to me this year and got me a matching pair of 300G SATA
> drives for me server.  I currently have two 100G drives set to RAID 1
> (mirror) in a Hot Swap RAID cage.  This raid cage is connected and
> controlled by a 3ware 8006 raid controller.  This card will only control
> two drives so I want to replace my current drives with the new ones.
>
> My question is what is the best way to go about this?  Can I simply
> dismantle the raid, remove drive 1 and replace with the new larger drive.
> Reassemble the raid and let the controller do the rest, then repeat for
> drive 0?

- --
Wade Pinkston

Ipsa scientia potestas est

Windows,a
32 bit graphical interface for a
16 bit patch to an
8 bit operating system internally coded for a
4 bit processor written by a
2 bit company that can't stand
1 bit of competition

GnuPG Key ID 0x216FDD35
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 216FDD35