[vox-tech] count pixels

Wade Pinkston blata at extent0006.entomology.ohio-state.edu
Thu Feb 22 08:09:31 PST 2007

I put a webpage up with an example.

http://bugs.osu.edu/wade

As you can see its the same image but the first has no damage.  The
second has damage.  So what I need it the percent difference.

Jim Angstadt wrote:
> --- Wade Pinkston <blata at bugs.osu.edu> wrote:

>> Hello,  I need to process some images and count the
>> number of pixes of a
>> given color.
>>
>> A little background.  I want to take pix of leaves
>> against a mat
>> background.  The leaves are then subjected to
>> damage.  I'll then take a
>> duplicate photo.  Now what I want to do is subtract
>> out the colors of the
>> leaf leaving only a two tone image.
>>
>> I was hoping to find a way to then use ImageMagick
>> or Gimp to count the
>> pixels of color so I can then get a percent change
>> between the two images.
>>
>> Does anybody know how to get ether of these two
>> programs to give this type
>> of information.  Actually any software would be help
>> full.
>
> Here is an example of using IM to compare 2 images, in
> this case, images from a webcam:
>
>  http://www.notbig.org/bin/webcam.sh.txt
>
> Note the command that begins with
>
>   differ=$(composite
>
> which first compares 2 images, then ignores minor
> color variations, converts the pixel comparison to
> text, and then manipulates the text as needed.
>
> I don't really understand what you are trying to do,
> but this sample of IM make be helpful for image
> comparisons.
>
> Jim

Wade Pinkston

Ipsa scientia potestas est

Windows,a
32 bit graphical interface for a
16 bit patch to an
8 bit operating system internally coded for a
4 bit processor written by a
2 bit company that can't stand
1 bit of competition