[vox-tech] Corrupted root files

Bryan Richter bryan.richter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 09:23:41 PST 2007

2007/12/21, Carl Boettiger <cboettig at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I've been having a series of problems with corrupted files owned by root.
> (I'm running the Ubuntu Gutsy by the way, normal i386 install) The first I
> noticed was an error whenever I ran apt-get update that turned out to be do
> to some perl-base *.pm configuration files were corrupted into binary mess.
> (thanks for your help earlier on this!)  Most recently my /etc/environment
> file became corrupted, this time with random ascii text inserted and the
> correct text missing.

Put your current hard drives on ice, buy new ones, and copy to the new
ones while sacrificing chickens and old monitors to $DEITY.

Unless you have backups, in which case, toss the old hard drives, buy
new ones, and copy to the new ones while sipping a martini.

Take this with a grain of salt, of course, but honestly, I'd be
worried about the hardware.

-Bryan

--
Bryan Richter