[vox-tech] External Drive Solutions?

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sun Dec 9 22:43:54 PST 2007

I just got a brand new computer (and man, is it a treat to work with a
computer with a decent graphics card!), and I'm pretty happy with it: a Dell
Inspiron which came with no OS, and on which I stuck Kubuntu the moment it
came into my house.

The problem is that I've got two large-ish hard drives in two other
computers -- a 160GB and a 200GB -- that I don't want to get rid of (they're
both decent, solid drives and I have no reason to get rid of them).  They're
both IDE drives, though, and my new computer only has SATA controllers, and
only one spare bay anyway.  What's the best way to make these drives
available to the other computers in my network without having to put them in
another computer?  I went and bought a Netgear SC101, but didn't realize
until after I got home that this wasn't going to do it for me.  I like the
idea of this device, but I need something that will work with Linux *and*
Windows that that won't suck.

Anyone got any suggestions?

--
Richard S. Crawford